Wednesday, March 19, 2014

R-e-s-p-e-c-t for Designers

I was wondering about our profession so I decided I would write about it.
I think the graphic design profession doesn't get the respect it deserves and it's all our collective fault. As a seasoned design professional*, I've had the opportunity to view dozens of portfolios from graphic design students with innovative ideas and potential to become accomplished designers; however, when these students step unto the real world their voice is lost and their ideas get lost in translation. When we we do not assert our voice, bad design is created not only by young professionals in the field, but by all of us from junior to senior level. Not always showing/giving our best work and adding bad design to the world undermines the value of our profession. I say it's time take back our profession and show the world the importance of design.


Is Our Voice Gone?

Our voice has been transposed to others inside the organizations where we work especially where there are non-design professionals making "business" decisions. The "make the logo bigger" phenomenon has now become the norm in some places. EVERYTHING BOLD is what everyone wants. Everything is important! Everything must shout. Let's use all of the colors in the rainbow. And with all of these demands our craft suffers, our professional positions become back-office jobs simply because we just give up and make that logo as big as the page. We become doers instead of thinkers.


Design Is Valuable

We need to take our jobs more seriously because our job is important. Designers are problem solvers. We make the world. Everything you see around you is designed. If you don't believe me, take a look at Apple and the reason why they're successful. Also, watch this video to see Sarabeth talk about the effect of Louise Fili's work on her business.


Take a Stand

It's not easy to take a stand especially when our jobs are at the very bottom of the totem pole. Don't get me wrong, I'm not proposing becoming a contrarian simply because you can. Not every design faux pas can be addressed and it's not always the best idea to address everything. My husband, one of my greatest inspirations, always tells me "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." I don't want to fall, so it's one of the things I keep in mind when I'm thinking of giving up.

I haven't always expressed my point of view. It is something I still have challenges with and am still learning. I do believe that taking a stand is easier when one is well-informed and able to articulate the reasons for a decision. For me, doing your research and learning as much as I can about my profession has enabled me to provide the best service for clients. I recommend surrounding yourself with design professionals especially if you're not in an advertising or design agency. They will be your sound board when all of the bad design messages get to your subconscious. Lastly, say NO to making things pretty, that is not what we do. In a recent interview for the Design Observer blog I heard the best explanation of our job by Dana Arnett, "Design  provides context for understanding."


If these suggestions fail, just take a power poser, (see video below). No Wonder I like Wonder Woman!





*I'm defining a design professional as an individual who has worked in the design field for many years or graduated with a degree in graphic design.

No comments:

Post a Comment